The Kamloops Art Gallery is seeking a collaborative and enthusiastic individual to assist with the realization of exhibitions by working closely with the Kamloops Art Gallery Curator, Preparator and exhibiting artists to plan and implement exhibitions in the Gallery. The ideal candidate has completed a Degree or Diploma in Fine Arts or Visual Arts. They must have a willingness to learn, a passion for art, experience with photography and audio visual equipment and excellent communication skills.
The Kamloops Art Gallery offers inspiring, provocative, and transformative art experiences of national calibre. Located in Secwepemcúlecw, it is the largest art gallery in the Interior of British Columbia and boasts a collection of over 3,000 works of art. With more than 12 exhibitions every year, the Gallery offers diverse, accessible, and affordable experiences, including talks, tours, and studio-based programming for people of all ages and abilities.
The Gallery is located right downtown, where you’ll find unlimited cultural, educational, and sports pursuits available on your doorstep. With more than 2,000 hours of sunshine annually and a unique mix of stunning landscapes, the region offers plentiful opportunities for outdoor recreation and is known for the quality of its hiking, mountain biking, skiing, and fishing.
For a detailed job description please see below.
Salary: $20 to $24 an hour, depending on experience
Employee status: Permanent, full-time employment: 35 hours per week
The Gallery offers a competitive compensation package including health benefits and RSP top-up and flexible working arrangements and hours.
Application deadline: Sunday, October 24, 2021
Please include a cover letter with your resume addressed to:
Kamloops Art Gallery
101 – 465 Victoria Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2A9
The Kamloops Art Gallery is an equal opportunity employer and thanks all applicants for their interest in the Gallery. Women, people of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities and people in the LGBTQIA2S+ community, and people from other historically excluded communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Assistant Preparator assists the Preparator with the installation of exhibitions to realize the artist’s vision.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops deep knowledge of KAG exhibitions and artists through research and engagement in Program Team meetings and collaborative planning with Program Team members.
- Participates in pre-exhibition planning and construction.
- Conducts research on the equipment and technical requirements for exhibitions, including staying up-to-date on current innovations, skills and knowledge in the contemporary art museum field as it relates to new media and exhibition installation
- Prepares video files and equipment requirements for exhibitions.
- Provides assistance with all aspects of exhibition de-installation and installation including, painting, construction, installing audio visual equipment, art work, technical set-up and other duties as needed.
- Takes and edits photos of the collection and exhibitions.
- Maintains inventory of all a/v equipment (audio, projectors, media players, etc.)
- Performs maintenance on all a/v equipment (firmware updates, projector lamp replacements, etc.)
- Assists with the maintenance and organization of the packing and collection area.
- Assists in the maintenance of the public art collection off-site.
The Assistant Preparator is responsible for assisting with the realization of the artist’s vision by working closely with the Kamloops Art Gallery Curator and exhibiting artists to plan and implement exhibitions in the Gallery. The Assistant Preparator works professionally with artists, suppliers, contractors and other organizations.
The Assistant Preparator works closely with all KAG employees, but requires extensive collaboration with the Preparator, Curator, Assistant Curator, Registrar, Education and Public Programs Director and the Gallery Attendants.
The Assistant Preparator reports directly to the Head Preparator.
- Experience working in a contemporary art gallery.
- Knowledge of contemporary art practices, particularly new media.
- Must be detail oriented with a strong desire to ensure any finished product meets safety standards with particular attention to aesthetic details and artistic requirements.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to take direction as well as delegate tasks to contractors and employees.
- Experience in an office environment, excellent administrative and communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible and manage competing priorities with tight timelines.
- Knowledge of the standard tools, practices and methods used in painting, rough and finish carpentry, cabinet work and the use of different materials used in construction.
- Ability to perform carpentry and electrical tasks.
- Experience with photography and videography of objects, spaces and people considered an asset.
- Must be physical capable of climbing ladders and scaffolding, lifting up to 50lbs, standing for long periods of time and handling delicate objects.
- Proficient with MS Office programs, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro or similar video editing software, Adobe Illustrator, BrightAuthor (media player software).
- Completion of a Degree or Diploma in Fine Arts, Visual Arts or other related field of study considered an asset.
- First Aid certification is an asset.
- Results Oriented
- Decisions Making & Judgement